Monday 7 March 2016

Geneva's Secret Garden



Art exhibit at a local school named after Harriet Tubman.

I have driven down Geneva Street, in St. Catharines, a thousand times. But it is not until you take a stroll along the sidewalk that you appreciate the layers of history that the street displays. My favorite neighbourhood of Geneva Street is between Welland Avenue and Church Street. This area represents several eras. Each building style speaks to the priorities of the time period when it was built. Many of the businesses I frequent such as my health food store, hairdresser, interior designer, and the Chinese grocer are located along this stretch. With our car-centric habits we often drive to our destination, park, and depart without ever exploring. Your visual attention is often distracted by loud landmarks like the two-story pink mural on the antique store or the fluorescent sign of a gas station. It may be easy to miss the the charming garden tucked away in an alleyway.

Between a car sales lot and a church, a wide red brick path invites the curious passersby to explore a tiny garden. Red heuchera and golden Japanese forest grass enliven, the sanctuary from the street, with bright colour. The path takes wide turns to lengthen the journey as you contemplate the branching structure of an elegant dogwood tree. A bench is situated in front of a statuary bust on a pedestal. The bust is of Harriet Tubman. She has a direct gaze as she overlooks her secret garden.

Harriet was a conductor on the Underground Railroad. She knew how to tell directions from looking at the stars. She led people escaping slavery to Canada by memorizing landmarks in the landscape along the way. She was a strategist and master of disguise. No one was ever able to catch Harriet Tubman or any of her passengers.

Harriet Tubman lived in St. Catharines on North Street from 1851-1858. Of the people that she guided to freedom, some put down roots in our community. The alleyway garden is tucked in beside the Salem Chapel, built in 1855. Many of the people who were freed from slavery attended Salem Chapel. It was also an important center for Canadian 19th century abolitionist and civil rights leaders. Today, this site is a National Historic Site of Canada. Local Historian Rochelle Bush, a descendant of African American freedom seekers, shares the stories of the site through Tubman Tours Canada.

By getting out of your car and exploring your neighborhood on foot you will have an opportunity to time travel through familiar urban typology.


14 comments:

  1. Every single time I read your blog, I learn about a topic I knew literally nothing about! Harriot Tubman is such a legendary person, I had no idea St. Catharines had such a beautiful bust! Thank you for sharing this bit of history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Phil. St. Catharines is a beautiful city and I find myself not appreciating the city in which I live in. It's amazing all the beauty that is in the Niagara Region. Keep posting I want to learn what else I might have missed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traveling made me appreciate how wonderful Niagara is. There is a good reason that the world wants to come visit us.

      Delete
  3. I have lived Geneva Street for 2 years, but I did not realize there are "historical and artistic" stories behind those buildings. It is an interesting post when I go to Geneva Street, I definitely will notice them "carefully" and enjoy in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The french call a person who strolls with the purpose to observe and explore the ordinary landscape with open eyes of appreciation a "Flaneur".

      Delete
  4. I used to live on Geneva Street for four months in 2014. What a surprise for me to discover what beauty it conceals! Sometimes you spend lots of time at some place and don't even suspect about its' rich history and beauty...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alleyway garden are some of my favorite because they are a joyful surprise and an ingenious use of space.

      Delete
  5. I have been in the region for so long and had no idea about any of this. Thank you. I'll be sure to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always fun to take a day-trip and explore your own neighborhood. So often we go from point A to point B with out any time to indulge in curiosity.

      Delete
  6. I have been in Niagara Region for 2 years now but had no idea about this. I will surely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for taking me on a journey, not only to St. Catharines, but also back in time. Our area is rich in history, and sometimes I forget about that. I need to take my children to explore this area. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salem Chapel is an international sacred destination and tourist attraction and yet locals don't know it is there.

      When I sit in the garden I think about the depth of feeling people must have felt to have arrived at this destination after escaping slavery. Even though Canada did not have slavery,it still had prejudice. Sadly many Canadian did not think they should be given citizenship.

      The St. Catharines Museum has a good exhibit that covers a bit of the story after settling here. They have it wired up so that when you stand in front of the exhibit a recording of Amazing Grace comes on.

      Delete
  8. Thank you, Sarah, for such informative post. Sometimes we don't have any idea how ancient are some buildings or what background they have. Very fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Slavery ended throughout the British Empire on August 1, 1834. Meaning that slaves were free if they were on British soil aka Canada. The construction of this modest little chapel was started in October 1853. It is interesting to think that a modest building on a urban street represents an important paradigm shift in the world and is a reminder that we must value and stand up for freedom and equality. Check out this movie to get some of the back story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Cv5P9H9qU

    ReplyDelete