Sunday 7 February 2016

Manifestations of Relationship


"Real isn't how you are made. It is a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time... then you become real."
The Velveteen Rabbit, Watership Down.


Humans are programmed to form relationships.

North Americans' understanding of the term “relationship” can be defined as a correlation, kinship or the way we regard or behave toward each other.

Humans are programmed to form a variety of relationships.  These include:  pleasant acquaintances you greet regularly on the street, respectful interactions forged at work, supportive friendships developed over time, bonds of family members and the hopeful spark of loving attraction.  All these relationships have a role to play in forming our understanding of our place in the world.

Cultural Landscapes are the manifestation of intimate human relationships with the environment. The outward manifestations of these relationships, provide insight into ideas, beliefs, and philosophical paradigms of the community that shaped them. Cultural Landscapes are physical narratives of our culture and reflect our collective identity. 

Categories of Cultural Landscapes

Cultural Landscapes cover a wide range of ways we relate to our environment. They define our relationship to our surroundings over time and across the globe. The Cultural Landscape Foundation fits our interactions into four basic categories: Designed Landscapes, Vernacular Landscapes, Ethnographic Landscapes and Historical Site Landscapes.


Designed Landscapes

Piet Oudolf's private garden, Hummelo, NL.
Designed Landscapes are those intentionally created by man. This includes gardens and parks. They may be created by trained professionals using design principles or by amateur working with recognized styles.




Vernacular Landscapes

Kensington Market, Toronto, CA.

Vernacular Landscapes are occupied by people whose
everyday activities organically cause the landscape to evolve. The landscape can be used to interpret the physical, biological, and cultural character of the culture. Vernacular Landscapes fall into two sub-categories:

  •  A landscape that has distinguishing features that are evidence of a past interaction with the everyday life of an absent culture.
  •  A landscape associated with the traditional way of life that is still actively evolving with the living society over time.



518 Alto Street, New Mexico, US.

Ethnographic Landscapes

Ethnographic Landscapes are those that contain significant natural and cultural resources. These resources are significant to people of the region, who value their religious, artistic, or cultural associations.



Historic Site Landscapes

The Mackenzie King Estate, Ottawa, CA.
Landscapes of Historic Sites can be an integral part of past events, activities, or person.


16 comments:

  1. This is very interesting, Sarah! I have never heard of Vernacular Landscapes before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your interest Katie. Each Cultural Landscape site can fit under more then one of the categories. The terms do help to clarify the characteristics of our relationship with the landscape.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting Sarah. I never knew cultural landscapes could be so fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giacomo, cultural landscape theory is a subject that sparks the curiosity. I look forward to exploring the many applications of this paradigm with you.

      Delete
  3. I really like this post and your blog idea. I think it is very important to understand cultural landscapes, as they help you understand other people well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lekhika! Cultural Landscapes does play an important role in building intercultural understanding.

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed reading this post as it was very informational. I had, previously, never heard the term vernacular landscape before. You learn something new everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed it, Fallon. My first few posts are laying out the basic premise of cultural landscape. I am looking forward to applying these ideas to some interesting local examples in the near future.

      Delete
  5. The pic you shared of Piet Oudolf's private garden is stunning. I am a fan of Historic Site Landscapes myself. I like exploring where my ancestors or previous inhabitants have been. Looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! I took that picture on a misty morning when I was traveling in Holland. As a garden designer Piet Oudolf is someone I look up to. It was fantastic to see his home garden that is the place of origin of his painterly design style, which the High Line in NY has now made famous.

      Historical sites have an interesting way of situating you in the story in a way a textbook can not replicate.

      If you enjoy the exploration of ancestry I would recommend the program "Who Do You Think You Are". There is a US and a UK version of the show.

      Delete
  6. This is a really interesting topic. Sometimes we get so consumed by our relationships with other people and ourselves that we forget about how the environment we live in can have a direct affect on our actions. I know from experience that environments can change everything! When I was in Europe, the historical landscapes definitely made my actions change from what they would have been if I were just at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy that I have sparked your interest, Lauren. I agree traveling in Europe is a great experience. It changes your perspective of time and your relation to stories and event of the past. When I lived in Oxford I developed a greater affinity to the authors who had lived and been shaped by that location.

      I am curious to learn how your action were modified by the context of your adventures.

      Delete
  7. Sarah, I love the visuals in this post! It's cool to consider not only how we affect our environment but also how our environment shapes us. Excited to read more on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! They are all images from my adventures. I think I have been unknowingly collecting stories and images that are perfect for this blog for a very long time. I am so glad I now get to share them.

      I the future I hope to expand the stories of these locations, in the context of each being a special cultural landscape.

      Delete
  8. Brilliant post Sarah. It was spectacular reading about categories in Landscapes. Historic landscapes are my favourite. The post helped me understand and learn more about other landscapes and how each one differentiates from another..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I glad you enjoyed learning something new. The neat part is some landscapes can be all four. Such as the garden at Salem Chapel. http://exploringculturallandscapes.blogspot.ca/2016/03/genevas-secret-garden.html

    ReplyDelete