Tuesday 19 January 2016

The Origin of my Curiosity





I was born on the Canadian prairies. As a stubble-jumper in the land of the living skies, you come to appreciate: listening to the wind roll through vast wheat fields, watching clouds of white pelicans reappear with the changing seasons, and sledding down sand-dunes on warm summer evenings. 

My formative years were during the most severe drought since the great depression. I was accustomed to the lawn in the backyard being pale yellow and crispy to the touch. On occasion there would be wind storms that would lift farmers’ valuable soil into the air, stealing it away as it turned the sky black.

Relocating to the Great Lakes Region was a shock to the senses. I was introduced to: the sound of Carolinian Forests awakening in the spring, watching ocean-liners move across vast horizon of fresh water and eating local ripe peaches on warm summer evenings.

My new home introduced me to a whole new pallet of vibrant green. People from all over the world come to my backyard to see the overwhelming abundance of water cascaded over Niagara Falls.

As I surveyed my new surroundings, I made observations about how people related to the landscape and how it, in turn, shaped our outlook and values. My continued curiosity led me to explore our relationship with landscape from the perspective of a Horticulturalist, an Urban Planner and an Artist.


Image from Pictabay.com

My view across Lake Ontario

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah, I really enjoyed reading your blog. Your words paint a vivid picture of the landscapes you've encountered and I think your writing style is a true reflection of your voice (enthusiastic and passionate). Thanks for including relevant links in your blog post. I like the clip you shared from American Beauty. Even the unseen could capture the eye. Best wishes on the success of your blog. I will definitely be back to check out your future posts. Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie for your lovely words of encouragement.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I can clearly imagine those wonderful natural landscape of your growing environment. I was born and raised in urban areas with very little natural scenery, and all the scenes you described are so attractive to me. By the way, this photo is gorgeous! Simple back but really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer. We should go on an adventure to find some local scenery in April. :)

      Delete
  3. This is beautifully written. I love to see your personality come out through your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie. Your kind words mean a lot to me.

      Delete